Dr. Halusic has been in practice for over 30 years and is board certified in oral and maxillofacial surgery. The current focus of his practice is dental implant surgery and oral surgery. Dr. Halusic has been advancing dental implant surgical care for his patients on a consistent basis. He was one of the first oral surgeons to have a CT scan in the office as he realized early on in 2007 that 3-dimensional imaging is a prerequisite in providing quality treatment to the dental implant patient. Due to his understanding of the value of CT imaging, Dr. Halusic quickly adopted 3-dimensional guided implant surgery in his practice. He has placed well over 3000 implants using CT guidance. (Please click here for an article on page 5 about Dr. Halusic and CT guided implant surgery.)
Dr. Halusic also was the first in his area to perform the All-on-4 procedure in which patients can have their smiles rebuilt in one day. (Please click here for more information about All-on-4.)
Always searching for better care for his patients, Dr. Halusic has the distinction of being the first surgeon in the world to perform All-0n-4 reconstructive surgery using a guided technique known as “Chrome”. This technique shaves hours off the surgical time and most patients can leave his office with their new smile in 4 hours.
The reason so many people see Dr. Halusic for dental implant and oral surgery is due to his in-depth training in all aspects of surgery of the face and mouth. Dr. Halusic has had extensive training in dentistry and medicine through his four-year surgical based residency program following dental school. Most patients do not understand the difference between an oral and maxillofacial surgeon and other less qualified practitioners who choose to perform dental implant surgery. As a patient, you deserve a surgeon that has comprehensive training involving all areas of the facial region and understands and has worked within the complex anatomy of the face and mouth. If you would like to review Dr. Halusic’s training, please scroll down to see his Curriculum Vitae.
Dr. Halusic’s emphasis on dental implants and oral surgery has been derived from an illustrious career including all components of oral and maxillofacial surgery including reconstructive jaw surgery, cosmetic facial surgery, TMJ surgery, trauma surgery, and oral surgery including wisdom teeth and other types of oral surgery. As his practice has developed over the years, his main focus is now dental implant surgery and oral surgery. One caveat that should be highlighted is his role as a clinical investigator in a study of a protein to grow bone in preparation for placement of dental implants. Dr. Halusic’s patients had a 100 percent success rate in the study and the study was published in the Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Through Dr. Halusic’s efforts and those of the other nineteen investigators, the protein is now FDA approved for use in bone grafting for dental implants.
Dr. Halusic believes that one must continually strive to be the best in their chosen field, and this requires a commitment to continuing education. He subscribes to the old adage that a good doctor never stops being a good student. Dr. Halusic is founder of The Study Club, a professional organization that has brought world class continuing education seminars to the dentists of Western Pennsylvania.
Dr. Halusic is double board certified. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and a Diplomate of the National Dental Board of Anesthesiology.
Dr. Halusic performs most of his surgeries in an office setting where he takes pride in providing first class facilities for his patients. He demands compassion and excellence in himself and in his team, and treats people as he would like to be treated.
Training and Education
- Surgical Residency in oral and maxillofacial surgery. 1981-1984. Included surgical training in all areas of the head and neck. Surgical Support of Life Flight trauma team. Included training in general trauma, neurosurgery, internal medicine, and plastic surgery.
- Cosmetic Facial Surgery Training. Institute of Facial Surgery. Bismarck, North Dakota. Training over a 2 year period in 1990 -91 which led to being hospital credentialed in all types of cosmetic facial surgery.
- Anesthesia Residency. 1980-1981. Montefiore Hospital. Pittsburgh, Pa. Training in all types of general anesthesia including complex head and neck, orthopedic, general surgical and vascular cases.
- University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine. 1976-1980. Doctorate of Dental Medicine.
- Westminster College, 1971-1975. Bachelor of Science in Chemistry.
Licensure, Certification, and Professional Organizations
- Diplomate, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Diplomate, National Dental Board of Anesthesiology
- Member, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Past President (2016-2017) and Member, Pennsylvania Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- President Elect and Director of Annual Educational Program (2015-2016), Pennsylvania Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Treasurer (2013-2015), Pennsylvania Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Member, Western Pennsylvania Society or Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Member, American Dental Society of Anesthesiology
- Clinical Instructor, Department of Surgery, Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pa. 1996-2004
- Chairman, Division of Dentistry and Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Frick Hospital, Mt. Pleasant, Pa. 1989-1993,1996-2003
- Grievance Committee Member, Westmoreland County Health Network, Greensburg, Pa. 1997
- Director, The Study Club, Greensburg, Pa. 1991-Present
- Credentials Committee, Medical Staff, Highlands Hospital, Connellsville, Pennsylvania, 1989-1990
- Director, Dental Board of Western Pennsylvania Society, 1989
- President, Fayette County Dental Society, 1988
- Director, Continuing Education, Fayette County Dental Society, 1987
- Florida Dental Boards
- North Dakota Dental Boards
- Pennsylvania Dental Boards
- Excela Health, Frick Hospital
- Excela Health, Westmoreland Hospital
- Excela Health, Laurel Surgical Center
- Highlands Hospital
Bone Morphogenic Protein 2 in the Sinus Lift Procedure
Clinical Investigator: Dr. Halusic participated in an FDA Phase III clinical study involving sinus grafting for dental implants. This was published in the Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, September 2009. [“Pivotal, Randomized, Parallel Evaluation of Recombinant Human Bone Morphogenic Protein-2/Absorbable Collagen Sponge and Autogenous Bone Graft for Maxillary Sinus Floor Augmentation”]
The Application and Effect of Dento-Facial Orthopedic Appliances
University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine, 1979. First Place Award, University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine, Student Table Clinics. National Commendation Award, American Dental Association.
The Use of Spectrophotometric Methods to Assay Hydroxybutyric Acid and Acetoacetic Acid in the Blood of Diabetic Patients in the Ketoacidotic State
Special Chemistry Lab, Wilmington Medical Center, Wilmington, Delaware. 1974.
- Halusic, E. and Catone, G.A.: Chapter on: Cutaneous Facial Laser Resurfacing in Catone, G.A. and Alling, C.C. (eds.), Laser Applications in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, W. B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1997.
- Catone, G.A. and Halusic, E.: Chapter on: Photobiology of Lasers in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in Catone, G.A. and Alling, C.C. (eds.), Laser Applications in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1977.
Speaking Engagements (Partial Listing)
- Cone Beam 3D Imaging for Dental Implant Surgery, Benco Dental, Pittsburgh, Pa., November 18, 2009
- Preserving and Creating Bone for Implant Placement: Alveolar Preservation Grafts, Sinus Lifts, and Block Bone Grafting. Implant Training Program, The Facial Surgery, September 25, 2009
- Bisphosphonate Related Osteonecrosis of the Jaws, The Study Club, February 20, 2009
- CT Guided Dental Implant Placement. Presented to Area Dentists, September, October, November 2008
- CT Guided Implant Surgery: The Future Is Here. The Study Club October 22, 2007
- Immediate Loading of Dental Implants: Scientific Basis and My Experience. The Study Club, April 18, 2007
- Creating Bone for Implant Placement: Block Bone Grafts and Sinus Lifts. The Study Club, March 16, 2005
- The Sinus Lift. The Study Club, February 3, 1999
- Hypertensive Agents and Local Anesthetics. The Study Club, Greensburg, Pennsylvania, March 4, 1998
- Laser Resurfacing of the Face for Wrinkle Reduction. Greater Pittsburgh Chapter of Hadassoh, Squirrel Hill, Pennsylvania, November 19, 1997
- Mirror, Mirror on The Wall (Laser Resurfacing). Health Place, Westmoreland Regional Hospital, Greensburg, Pennsylvania, September 26, 1997
- Facial Rejuvenation: Maximizing Aesthetics Through a Coordinated Team Approach. Three Rivers Dental Conference, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, September 18, 1997
- Laser Resurfacing: Turning Back the Clock. Health Place, Westmoreland Regional Hospital, Greensburg, Pennsylvania, April 22, 1997
- Lasers and Lines. Talbots, Westmoreland Mall, December 8, 1997
- Treatment Planning Session: Dental Implants and Difficult Cases. The Study Club, February 24, 1997
- Comprehensive Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Fayette County Dental Society, Uniontown, Pennsylvania,November, 1997
- Laser Resurfacing to Regain Youth. Uniontown Rotary, Uniontown, Pennsylvania, December 5, 1997
- Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Surgery): Evaluation and Surgical Technique. Resident and Attending Staff, Department of Surgery, Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 199, 1998, 1999, 2005
- Laser Resurfacing: Evaluation and Technique. Resident and Attending Staff, Department of Surgery, Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2005
- Aesthetic Facial Surgery. Pleasant Chamber of Commerce, Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania, May 10, 1996
- Comprehensive Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Youngwood Rotary, Youngwood, Pennsylvania, March 4, 1996
- Comprehensive Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Greensburg Rotary, Greensburg, Pennsylvania, October 1, 1996
- Orthognathic Surgery (Corrective Jaw Surgery). Association of Operating Room Nurses, Westmoreland and Fayette Counties, 1987
- Orthognathic Surgery (Corrective Jaw Surgery). C. Frick Hospital and Community Health Center, Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania, 1986
- Orthognathic Surgery (Corrective Jaw Surgery). Highlands Hospital, Connellsville, Pennsylvania, 1986
- Endosseous Dental Implants. Fayette County Area Dentists, Shadyside Inn, Uniontown, Pennsylvania, 1986
- Mandibular Staple Implants: Surgical and Prosthetic Reconstruction Fayette County Area Dentists, Pleasant Valley Country Club, Connellsville, Pennsylvania, 1985
- TMJ Disorders; Etiology, Diagnosis and Treatment. Westmoreland Regional Hospital Physician Education, Greensburg, Pennsylvania, 1984
- Orbital Reconstruction with Autogenous Iliac Crest. University of Pittsburgh, School of Dental Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, 1984
- Care of Surgical Patient with Diabetes Mellitus. Resident and Attending Staff: Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 1982