Have you ever experienced pain or swelling in your face or neck area? Do you have trouble chewing or feel discomfort in your jaw area when eating? These are just a few symptoms of temporomandibular joint disorder. Also known as TMJ, this disorder is most common among people between the ages of 20 and 40.
While the specific cause of TMJ is unknown, some reasons may include jaw injury, teeth grinding or clinching, or joint arthritis. Additional symptoms of TMJ includes: jaw popping and stiffness, migraines, misaligned teeth, eye pain, and ear aches. A dentist may suggest different professional TMJ treatment options for you in Greensburg, PA to help mediate and relieve the pain caused by TMJ and any other associated symptoms.
What is the Temporomandibular (TMJ) Joint?
The TMJ links your jaw to your skull. It gives your jaw the range of motion to speak, chew food, laugh and allows your jaw to move up and down and side to side. This joint is highly complex than other joints in the body due to its juncture and different ranges of motion.
What Are Some TMJ Treatments?
There are several treatment options for relieving the pain associated with TMJ, including:
- Changing your daily lifestyle: Avoid consuming hard or extremely chewy foods. Reducing your stress level can stop behaviors like jaw clinching or teeth grinding. Try to avoid yawning widely or chewing gum on a consistent basis.
- Dentist prescribed treatments: If you have tried over-the-counter medication and have made the necessary changes in your daily lifestyle, but are still experiencing TMJ headaches, you can book an appointment with a dentist and they can prescribe some medication that may be more suitable and effective than what you are currently taking. You may also be referred to receiving mouth guarding devices to minimize and protect your teeth from grinding.
- Surgical treatments: Orthodontic, corrective treatment may permanently change your bite to aid in TMJ pain relief.
Where Should You Go To To Get TMJ Treatment?
Dr. Edward Halusic and the highly skilled team at The Facial Surgery Center in [city], [state] offer phenomenal, unique treatment options for their TMJ. Their plans offer great variety to meet your specific needs, including:
- minimally invasive mouthguards
- Occlusal splints
- Orthognathic surgery (for more complex cases
With the skill and expertise expressed by Dr. Halusic and his talented staff, you can rest assured that your diagnosis, individualized treatment, and fantastic results will last a lifetime. Dealing with the pain, discomfort, and life-altering issues associated with TMJ can be quite impactful.
Fortunately, there are several treatment options that are available to you so that you can get back to enjoying life again without this issue. With the amazing experience of Dr Halusic, you’ll be able to have full function and comfortability of your jaw usage again!
There’s no reason to keep dealing with TMJ pain any longer!
Call our doctors, Edward J. Halusic, DMD, Christian A. Moore, DMD, MD, and Ryan J. McCloy, DMD, in our office by Monroeville, PA to get on a path to a new smile with dental implants! Schedule your consultation today!